WITH the announcement of a new mega casino and resort for Brisbane’s CBD, here are 9 things you need to know:
1. Construction is set to begin in 2017 after the government’s new executive building at One William Street is completed, allowing necessary demolition of several existing buildings to begin. Construction is predicted to be completed by 2022.
2. The development will completely reshape the area from George Street to the river, with the proposal stretching 10 blocks across the far end of the city from Queen Street to Alice Street.
3. The construction is predicted to generate some 3000 jobs, and 8000 permanent jobs upon its completion.
4. Queensland is predicted to see an influx of 1.39 million additional tourists each year.
5. The development includes a new lyric theatre at QPAC and a pedestrian bridge to link to South Bank. Echo’s group property development director Josef Seidler said the bridge proposal is designed to convey a “single, beautiful, swanlike element”.
6. The development will see five new hotels (three of six-star rating), three new residential towers, and 50 restaurants and bars fully accessible to the public.
7. Echo’s plans include a Sky Deck area that will feature outdoor restaurants on the 25th floor, a glass floor observation deck and a Botanic Gardens observation deck.
8. The Treasury building will be transformed into a six-star boutique hotel, boasting two levels of a high-end department store.
9. New green spaces will aim to rejuvenate public areas. “The Landing” is set to be a South-Bank inspired area with 12 football fields of open space that will be able to cater for 26,000 people. The area will also play host to a nightly water and light show.
Originally published as 9 fast facts about city’s new casino