Zucchini and eggplant gratin
This zucchini and eggplant gratin is the perfect vegetarian side dish. You wont need to be a vegetarian to love this dish. You just need to love melted cheese.
- olive oil cooking spray
- 250g zucchini, thinly sliced
- 370g eggplant, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Grease a 4cm-deep, 4 cup-capacity, flame-proof dish.
- Spray both sides of zucchini and eggplant slices with oil.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned and soft. Transfer to a plate.
- Layer one-third of the eggplant, zucchini, sauce and cheese in a Repeat with remaining eggplant, zucchini, pasta sauce and cheese.
- Grill for 5 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve.
- This recipe works well on the barbecue or pre-baked and heated up when needed.
- You could vary this recipe, depending on what vegetables are in season.